Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's a little known fact that

I once knit.

Well over thirty years ago I once knit.
.
I was single and sharing a home with other gals; one of whom was a fabulous knitter.
It was like having my own personal knitting instructor.
Everytime I needed help, there she was! (And I needed lots of help!)
I knit the above sweater for hubby - it is too big for him but every once in a while he slips it on.
I think he does it just because he loves me. And not the very big sweater.


I was captured by the designs that one could make around the yoke of the sweater.
I used round needles to make this sweater. I remember playing around with the design before I knit it, marking the colors on graph paper until I came up with just the right color combination for me. I still wear this sweater. It's getting really old!
So am I.




This sweater is a child's size.
I knit it for my youngest brother. (Jeffrey, do you remember this sweater?)
Somehow it has returned to me and I will be happy to share it with any interested grandchild when they get this size. :)

And THIS was my very first sweater.
I was so excited to knit it, actually finish it and wear it!
The cables look hard but they really weren't hard to do.
The sleeves look a tad bit long but I wore this sweater quite a bit.
I made one or two other sweaters that I gave away.
And I really wish I still had the mittens I knit. I think they were the first knitting project and the hand part of the mitten turned our HUGE. It was so funny and I kept them because they were good for a laugh. However we put them to use once when my hubby had foot/toe surgery and couldn't put a shoe on following the toe surgery. So we took one of those huge mittens and slipped it on that foot to cover his toes and keep his foot warm.
And I didn't get a picture of that.
bummer.
.
So, I thought I'd share this little known fact that I once knit.
I am posting this so that if, someday, someone asks my sons, or my daughter-in-laws, or my grandchildren if I was a knitter... they can say "she sure was."
.
My present knitting projects would be scarves...
if I can remember how to cast stitches on to the needles..
.
Where is my knitting instructor when I need her?

No comments: