Friday, September 23, 2011

How to relax

For the last year or so I have been enjoying decorating sugar cookies. Strange as it seems, it is a way to relax for me; it is something that takes time and slows me down. I have to go slowly as I frost the cookies, I have to wait before I can do the next step; I have to take care to decorate them - slowly, slowly... do not rush. All things that are contrary to my nature - and are good for me to practice!
This apple tree is a new cookie cutter shape recently added to my growing collection of cookie cutters. And I didn't know exactly how I was going to decorate it but I saw I had these little red berries candies that looked just perfect as apples! Oh, I think these are cute! (and, just like a real apple tree, sometimes the apples fall off!!)

I love fall and I was happy to make some fall cookies - these look harder then they really were - while the orange frosting was still wet, I put the contrasting colored frosting on top and then used a toothpick to drag the color to look like the veins of the leaf.

And since we live amongst many huge oak trees, it only seemed fitting that I made oak leaves as well. I should have made some acorn cookies (I have an acorn cookie cutter too), as this season we are bombarded with an overflow harvest of acorns!

These don't look like fall cookies, but they were for the fall kick-off for a new program at our church for young moms. The colors were black and pink and this flower resembles the logo. They took longer to decorate, as each part required either a different tip to the icing bag or a different color.

So, I have been relaxing lately!


1 comment:

Megan said...

Those are cute, but I know that wouldn't be considered a relaxing activity at my house...ha!