Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Knoephla lesson

Last weekend we were at our eldest son's home. My daughter-in-law made some wonderful soup that is popular in North and South Dakota especially.
It was brought to this country by the German immigrants.
(Apparently my grandmother in Brooklyn also made this!)
It is called "knoephla" soup. You pronounce that "nef la."
.
The soup is a combination of pieces of potato and pieces of knoephla in a creamy chicken base.
.
I learned how to make the knoephla.
And I took pictures for you.
The dough is shaped into long thin "ropes" about the size of your small finger.

Then they are cut into small pieces.
In the German dialect the word knoephla (the spelling may vary) meant little knob or button.

They look like little pillows.

The knoephla was cooked briefly in boiling water and then transferred to the soup pot.

After everything was heated through, it was time to eat!
You have to trust me on this...
it was delicious!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what else is in that soup?

Lindsay Gietzen said...

It is very popular here in ND. And of course, marrying a full-blooded German man- you definitely learn how to get used to knoephla! It is very tasty.

Kathy Garvin said...

I've had it a couple times. It is great!

Sara said...

It also includes a few potatoes, little celery and I do add a couple carrots. I use the nontraditional cream of chicken and celery soups along with chicken base. And of course, milk and a little cream. I think I use the same basic recipe as that served in Glen Ullin, ND during Fall Festival ;)