Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bird watchers? Advice needed...

Today during lunch we noticed a large bird fly and land on a tree quite a distance from our home.
We looked at it for quite some time using our binoculars and are undecided about just what kind of hawk (or other large bird) this may be.
I did grab my camera and did the best I could capturing a still shot of it, but I needed a much more powerful telephoto lens to really take a good photograph.
Even so, you may be able to see him in the middle of the above picture.
It is a very large bird and it was sitting far away.
Here is the best I could do.
Our guess is a red-shouldered hawk and we would be on the outer fringes of its breeding territory.
Anyone out there familiar with this bird? We'd love to know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could it be an osprey? l, m

Gretchen R said...

A few years back we had a bird like this nearby during a heavy snow and had the toughest time guessing what it was. We're missing an owl page from our bird book, but the head had a very similar shape to a saw whet owl. The coloring of your bird is almost like the juvenile coloring of that owl.

Just a guess, though. We still wonder if it was a hawk, though.