Saturday, February 07, 2009

Saturday morning wildlife

The back of our home looks out towards the river through many trees and unadulterated landscape. No homes behind us. During the winter we appreciate it as we can see far through the barren branches. The snow enhances everything and we have more of an opportunity to spot wildlife against the white background. While looking out from our family room this morning Wally suddenly noticed some movement way out in the distance...

I grabbed the camera and zoomed in on a far-away spot to see a small herd of deer - it looked like we could count 5.

But eventually there were 8 deer.


After a while they changed their direction and came up closer to the back of our home (behind the river room for those who know our home)..

You can see the river in the background and they make their way up the path.



They followed in a line going to our left - until suddenly something spooked them and they turned around and ran off in a BIG hurry. I wished I had captured that on film as it was really great to watch the eight of them HIGH TAIL it off to a safer location.

We continued to enjoy the rest of the wildlife of our backyard this morning. Check the next post for our other visitors.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Thanks for the birthday shout out! I just love that hat. :)