Monday, January 21, 2013

Cold air, hot soup

I snapped this picture this morning at about 8 a.m.  It is a very cold day here in Minnesota and the high is expected to remain below zero.  The HIGH.  Well, we should not be surprised, but... none-the-less, it is cold! 
 
It's just the kind of weather for a good bowl of hot soup.  Here is my mom's easy vegetable soup recipe:
In a large pot, brown 1 lb of ground beef and drain. To the drained beef add 4 cups of water, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz can), 1 can tomato soup (15 oz can), 1 envelope dry onion soup, 2 teaspoons sugar and a large package of frozen mixed vegetables (@ 26 oz). Bring to boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Easy and delicious
I usually try to have these ingredients on hand. 
Add some homemade bread and you have a great winter supper!

1 comment:

Christine U said...

Your soup looks delicious, Candis! I make one very similar to this, but also add barley and some extra beef broth. Makes it even heartier!