Thursday, October 29, 2009

October 29, 1920

This is an amazing story. I don't know if you can read the newspaper clipping above this post, but it was posted in the New York Daily News on October 13, 1920.

.

My grandmother was a single mom and made the difficult decision to allow my father to be adopted into a family that could care for him better then she.

.

I can't imagine how difficult that decision was for her.

.


But a widower in New Jersey saw the newspaper article and choose to become my father's daddy - by marrying my grandmother!


Here is the proof of their marriage: dated October 29, 1920...



I would say that a 16 day courtship was rather brief...




Shortly thereafter they took this family picture.


I treasure it.
And every October I think about my grandmother, my grandfather and my father.

No comments: