Wednesday, September 09, 2009

My new toy!

I am so excited to own a serger! It's a nice little basic serging sewing machine and it is perfect for edging cute fabric for tablerunners and under table centerpieces (mostly for church.)
It is not the easiest machine to understand and I took some time watching and re-watching the CD that came with the machine. Then I read and read again the instruction booklet. Finally I decided I could do it - thread the machine!
There are 4 threads; two of them are called "loopers" - the "upper" looper and the "lower" looper. Who knew?
Now I do.
Here in the picture above is a close-up of the 4 thread basic stitch that I am using.

Want to see my work area?
This counter works well for the serger.


Across the room is the regular sewing machine.



Notice how I prop up the table side of my sewing machine table these days?
The extra support is helpful.
(The hinges had come loose a while back and, though they are repaired,
are not as strong as they once were.)

Here is some of the really cute fall fabric that I have cut and serged.
This fabric is cut into about 16" squares and is nice for the center of a round table.
I made 16 of these.

And this cute fabric, designed by Debbie Mumm, is a table runner; a long rectangle.
I made 9 of these to go with some I made last year (without the serger.)
These will be on the tables on Sunday when we have our church breakfast.
So fall! I love fall!

Lastly, I thought I'd show you the great washer and dryer we bought about a year ago.
If you have a laundry room on the second floor of your home (and not on a basement concrete floor), these Maytag bravos are great.
.
I love my sewing room!

6 comments:

Knut said...

I'm mopping the drool off my keyboard. What a fun machine to have, and what a nice space for sewing!

Thorson's said...

I love your sewing room too!

Anonymous said...

Impressive, Candis. You go girl! l, m

Anonymous said...

Ditto to the IMPRESSIVE!!!! Thanks, Sweet L, for the card for me and for the new parents - YOU ARE SUCH A BLESSING!!!! :) j.

Jim and Marilyn said...

Congrats! Now I'm anxious to see the tables that were adorned with these beautiful fall prints. (Oh how we miss the Stillpoint Cafe and all the lovely decor you provided.)

Anonymous said...

What a great room! Your creativity never quits!
Judy