Monday, September 07, 2009

Stocking up

I did not grow up with picking berries, canning or even knowing what a chokecherry was.
In fact, my first taste of a chokecherry was when W offered me one, picked right off the chokecherry bush. AGH! There is a reason the first part of the word is "choke"...
BUT... if you add a lot (emphasis on a lot) of sugar... it sure makes a
totally delicious syrup!
.
So, I try each year to make a batch of chokecherry syrup.
I have to admit that this is the one domestic task that makes me feel
out of my comfort zone...
.
Apparently, that is not all that bad.
Here are my jars all labeled and ready for the coming year.
Pancakes, watch out!

I'm all about cute labels, by the way.
I had fun designing these.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yum yum! I LOVE the header picture by the way. All the kids in vests....adorable ;)

Anonymous said...

Good memories of chokecherry syrup on one of our camping trips. Pancakes over the open fire smothered in syrup. Good life! GREAT memories. J.

Jim and Marilyn said...

ohhhh, I miss that syrup!

doug&margarethe said...

I dido J&M's comment! especially on pancakes...

The Erickson Family said...

Maybe this year one will make it out to Oregon??? :o)