Thursday, September 17, 2009

Homemade cream of mushroom soup

The internet is a good source for recipes. Here is a good recipe for homemade cream of mushroom soup - the great thing is that this homemade soup is free of msg and other preservatives. Since I so frequently come across a recipe that calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup and this recipe fits the bill. It makes about "2 cans" of the soup.
Start with fresh mushrooms. I used my food processor..

and I pulsed it just a few times to chop them up into smaller pieces.

Here are the assembled ingredients. 2 Tb butter, 2 Tb olive oil, 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour (yes, I ground it myself in my new grinder), 1 t salt and 2 cups milk.


Melt the butter and olive oil



slowly add the flour and salt and make a roux.




add the mushrooms and heat briefly. They soften up.



Slowly add the milk and heat..
Stir frequently.

Remove from the burner once it begins to come to a boil.
The mixture should have thickened by this point.


It looks and tastes just great.
Divide into two containers and store in the refrigerator.
(I don't know how long one can store it.)
What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candis, you are AMAZING!!! It looks delicious. How fun to go back to homemade everything. :)
Cassandra

The Erickson Family said...

That looks unbelievable!

(Singing) - "All I want for Christmas is a food processor, is a food processor, is a food processor..."