Monday, August 04, 2008

Update from Alaska!

Hello from Copper River! We are at the Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge. We are enjoying this beautiful state and have seen lots of sights. The cruise was grand and the glaciers were amazing - we saw (and heard) them breaking off and falling into the bay just like on travel videos! Now we are on land and today we went on a good 2 1/2 hour ATV riding venture. The sights were spectacular. We also saw fresh grizzly bear tracks - I'm not kidding either. The guide was cautious and said folks have been trying to find the fellow to get rid of him. Also there have been numerous black bear sightings here at the lodge; the latest was at 11:30 a.m. this morning on one of the walking paths. I'm not sure I'll be walking alone here!

Tomorrow we head to the Denali Princess Hotel and the following day we will be rafting. (floating, no big rapids.) The weather has been cool but the rain held off when we visited the towns of Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. Last evening the skies cleared and we saw the mountains - and today was gorgeous. We hope it will be also nice in Denali so we can get a glimpse of Mt. McKinley.

Be glad I can't post pictures...... I have TONS.

2 comments:

Henrik and Carrie said...

We want to see those pictures!! Meghan and I were talking at camp and decided our families should all get together after you get back for a full report on the trip! We can't wait to hear all the details and see all the pictures, too!

The Erickson Family said...

Fun to read an update from you!!! Can't wait to hear more when you get home (and see the photos)!