Friday, May 23, 2008

Here we go, almost ready...

Well, today is the day company arrives - we are expecting about 40 people this evening and again tomorrow afternoon and evening as Wally's high school class mates join together for their big reunion. Since we live in town, we open our home for a central place to gather. I know folks will have a good time seeing each other again. Will they notice that the wallpaper from their 4 previous reunions is gone??
Here are some pictures of the living room. Lamps were added yesterday. Very cozy.

I love the new french doors. A bigger change then I had expected.

My grandfather used to sit in this rocking chair.

Even the piano got tuned!

Now, about the picture.... I was trying to find a picture that I felt suited the living room and all my nice art work is either winter scenes or wildlife scenes. I remember that I had stashed, under our bed, a picture from Wally's family. I don't remember ever liking it which is why it was relegated to its location under the bed! It had this strange frame with mirror all around it too.

The picture was actually one that had just been left in the house that Wally's family bought here in Fergus Falls in the 50's. It just stayed on the wall then but eventually, when they sold the house, they brought it home with them to Canada. We eventually became the owners.

Well, I hung it up, first as a joke, to see if Wally would notice it. However, it began to take on a new life of its own and when Meghan came over she pronounced it very good! So I dusted it off and polished it some, reglued some of the mirrors in the frame and then found out it had a name and an artist. It is "Song of Love" by M. Detlef and quite a relic.

So, here is our new spring artwork.


I don't expect any more changes in the near future. This is it, folks! Phew!

6 comments:

The Erickson Family said...

It looks wonderful in there! I bet it feels great to have all of that work done! I think you did it very quickly! I loved the story about the art. You should get it appraised. Since it's so old, it might be worth something! Hope the reunion is wonderful this weekend.

Henrik and Carrie said...

Very good! I really like it!

Andrea said...

Looks nice! I like that the picture has a story with it. The french doors look great - even all stained up!! It's so nice to have a deadline, isn't it?? Have a fun weekend!

Don't you also just love how the house looks with the flowers all planted?? Everything looks so much more spring-summery!

John said...

And on the Seventh day he rested!

Sharon said...

Your house looks great and I love that picture.

Kari, RN said...

Wow, it all looks so good! What did Wally's class think of the missing wallpaper?

I love the French doors stained, they look wonderful -especially next to the corner cabinet. The picture looks good too, thanks for sharing it with all of us!

With all the changes you've been making lately from the River Room, to the new wood floors, to the dining room/living room/entryway/bathroom makeover, I bet you feel like you're in a new home! How fun!

Miss you!