Friday, April 17, 2009

Yogurt maker

Continuing in my quest to actually USE all my kitchen gadgets, I decided to once again make some yogurt. It's a relatively easy process with a yogurt maker.
I boiled a quart of milk and then let it cool to 125 degrees. At that point I added a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt.
I ladeled the mixture into the yogurt containers that came with the yogurt maker.

Here they are all filled and ready to go into the yogurt maker.
At this point it just looks like milk.

This item, which must be about 30 some years old, is simply a way to keep the yogurt cups in a continous low-warm environment. Plug it in and leave it alone for about 10 hours.

I am always amazed when I take the lid off the yogurt containers to see it has thickened and become yogurt! Seems like magic!
Now I have to come up with a good way to add fruit that doesn't defeat the purpose of homemake yogurt. Any ideas?

No comments: