
Start with potatoes. Boil.

Put boiled potatoes through a ricer. (or you could mash them...)

This is Grandma Anna Berge's ricer. It's very old and very sturdy!

Here are the riced potatoes.

Next add some ingredients; cream, butter, flour, sugar and salt.

Mix and shape into balls to be rolled into circles of lefse.. father and son enjoying themselves!

Dad demonstrates the method.... first he prepares the ball of dough

Then he begins to roll the dough to form a thin, flat circle.

Wally is using the grooved rolling pin made by Uncle Einar years ago. It is covered with a "stocking" cloth which has been floured to prevent the dough from sticking.

And now the tricky part - taking the circle of dough off the board to transfer to the griddle.
Wally is very good at this, of course.

Ah, looks like it is going to work.

Now it is unrolled onto the griddle, using the lefse stick.

This is a close up of the lefse on the griddle, after it was turned over. The brown spots indicate it was cooking. That is good.

Now, all it needs is butter and sugar....... and someone to eat it!

Daniel is trying his hand...

under the watchful eye of Brooklyn and his grandma Mildred.

John makes some too...

and so does Sara.

And finally Brooklyn even gets to make some. She was very good at it, too!
5 comments:
Great lefse lesson! Fun to see your lefse-making party. We had one this weekend too!
Ahhh, my mouth is watering! I really think a person can never have too much lefse. :) Looks like a fun weekend. Looking forward to when we're all together for Christmas!
Such a great lefsa demo! We are amazed that you didn't post any pics of the boys covered in flour...could they possibly have worked sensibly that whole time and not "played" some???(And I loved seeing the carton of Cass-Clay cream...I miss the Red River Valley dairy!!!) This was such a fun post to look at!
Thanks for the lesson Candis! I'm hopefully going to try my hand at making some lefse this holiday season, and getting an overview definitely helps. I got all the tools for shower/wedding gifts and I'm itching to try it out!
Hi, my name is Angie Berg and I clicked on your link through Rachel (Olson) Erickson's page when I saw the lefse post, nice work!! My husband and I got the whole lefse equipment for our wedding 9 1/2 years ago and we are still experimenting with different ways to do it. So do you not "cool" your potatoes? In the one's we've tried we either have to cool them overnight or set them in the fridge 'till they cool. Are you willing to give the measurements out for the ingredients?? If not, that's fine ;) it just looks so perfect in the pictures!! Are you related to the AFLC Berge's? You could click on my picture to "see" my family but I don't think you can email me from there so I'll leave that too, just in case! Blessings to you and enjoy that good lefse!
Angie Berg
ajberg@paulbunyan.net
Post a Comment