At least once a year (and sometimes more) hubby and his buddy take over the kitchen in order to make a meal that they both grew up enjoying - it has Norwegian roots and has a number of names; we would say "Kumpa" (I believe it is spelled kumpe in Norske) , or Klub, or Kumla .. etc. It is basically potato dumplings; raw grated potatoes formed into a dough (add a little flour and salt) and then into a ball with a small piece of salt pork in the center, then boiled.
These two peeled 30 pounds of potatoes for the evening guests.

There are a number of ways to enjoy kumpe. Some merely add butter and salt & pepper. Some put honey or syrup on it. I added some cooked carrots with the meal though it often is served just alone.
Of course, we had to have a little dessert (not a big dessert, though, as kumpe is heavy, dense, and filling!). Keeping with the Norwegian theme of the evening, we had cold heart-shaped Norwegian waffles with lingonberries and sour cream and, of course, coffee!
However, most every person who has grown up with this will also say that it is better fried the next morning. Without exception that is said.. and it is true as far as I am concerned too. (I did not grow up with kumpe and have not really developed a "love" for this meal.) What are some of your ethnic meals from your childhood?
No comments:
Post a Comment