Monday, July 06, 2009

The mighty Mississippi....

One of the top tourist attractions for us Minnesotans would be the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi. We are so proud that that magnificent river has its humble beginnings here in Minnesota. I would venture to guess many many Minnesota families have photographs of their family in front of this sign - and crossing the little rocks positioned across the flow of the headwaters.

Of course, I had to at least put my toes in the Mississippi!

Wally can be seen walking across the waters.


I took a fair amount of nature pictures and I was hoping that we would see some Lady's slippers. We did! They are stunning! This is the Minnesota state flower (don't pick it! They fine you if you do!) Its official name is the "Showy Lady's Slipper".
It is sort of showy, isn't it?
Do you know your state flower?

4 comments:

Lindsay Gietzen said...

I guess my state flower is the wild prairie rose... now that I'm from (sob) the middle of (sob) North Dakota (sobbing harder) :(

Just kidding. It's not that bad :)

Candis Berge said...

Now that's a sob story if I ever heard one. ha ha.

I believe North Dakota is the only state in the nation to see economic growth as of late. Only the strong and hardy survive.

rdljnrisbrudt.blogspot.com said...

I love the Lady Slipper! I'm sure I would like the wild prairie rose too. :)

Anonymous said...

Great pics - my favorite - the Showy Lady Slipper! What beauty! J.