Monday, January 19, 2009

Check out the boat

Notice the top picture of this post. It is a view of one of the magnificent glaciers we were fortunate to view from our cruise ship this past summer. But you really don't get the sense of the size of the glacier unless you notice the small dark spot in the water ... it is a boat. I blew up the part of the picture that has the boat - now you can, possibly, make sense out of how huge the glacier was! We thought, from our cruise ship, that we were right up close to the glacier - but we were NOT. It was just so big, it appeared like we were close. When some of the glacier would break off and fall into the water, the sound and the falling ice were not simultaneous due to the distance of the sound to reach us. It was amazing and I don't think I can convey the awesomeness of it even in these pictures.
I guess you'll just have to go to Alaska to see it yourself!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

It is quite an amazing thing! We look forward to going back again someday!

Kari, RN said...

That's amazing! What a great picture!

I've been wanting to talk to you about your trip, wondering if we should check out part of Alaska in July? :)

There are a few options we're thinking of, and that's one of them... we'll see what happens...

Candis Berge said...

Oh, Kari, We took a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and then spent a week on land. All with Princess. I can recommend it!! Wonderful! (I also recommend a cabin with a balcony.)