Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Welcome Home Troops!!

On Sunday in Fergus Falls some of our troops arrived safely home after serving our country in Iraq. It was definitely special for many families and as a town. We were encouraged to show our support for these men and women by lining the route that the bus would be driving as it went to our local high school for them to join their families. Here I am on the main street of our town with my friend JoAnn. Our hubbies waved the flags that are laying on our chairs while JoAnn and I held this huge flag. (This flag was presented to my Aunt at the burial of my Uncle Stan, who served in the Aleutian Islands during World War II). When the bus carrying our soldiers drove down the main street there were many many people welcoming them. Preceeding the bus were lots of squad cars with their lights flashing the sirens blaring. It was wonderful and very very emotional. Also note the yellow bow on the tree to the right. There were yellow ribbons tied all over town to welcome them home.

2 comments:

Hallie said...

I was there too, it was great! We are going again on Friday. A friend of ours came home on Sunday.

Kari, RN said...

Thanks for posting this picture! I had just been checking out the Daily Journal website to see any pictures they had. I'm glad you got to be there and show support! As I've said before, Fergus does an amazing job of showing patriotism. I was pretty disappointed that I was going to miss their return by just one day!