I suppose all good cooks experience major failures along the way, or how else would they become good cooks? So, that being said... I think I may be on my way to becoming a good cook because I tried.... and failed... at this Norwegian meal!
Now you may be wondering what in the world this was in the first place? This would be called, in layman's terms, "potato dumplings" - though my Norwegian spouse and his family called it "kumpa" - other names are also "klubb" or "komla"... and on this particular day I thought I would totally surprise my dear hubby with this "delicacy" that I have, so far, avoided ever making. How hard could this be, I determined? Afterall, I think I'm a pretty decent cook.... so I was smiling as I peeled potatoes (that is the one kitchen cooking chore that I really dislike - it ranks right up there with cleaning walls or crocheting)... but I peeled and shredded and squeezed out the excess moisture (I told you I was a good cook - this is an important part for this meal) and added flour, some oatmeal and carefully shaped them into balls with the required piece of salt pork safely tucked into the center of the kumpa. I had brought the large kettles of water to a soft boil and then, so proud of myself, I took a picture before gently placing them into the water...
And then into the water they went! (There is a little ham in the water to add, possibly, a little flavor...) Again, I had to photograph to document I had DONE this! Oh, how happy and surprised Mr. Wonderful will be, I happily thought to myself.
Pride goeth before a fall.
Within minutes these beautiful spheres.... disintegrated into the water!!!
HORRORS! I didn't know they would or could do that!!!
NO, I was so befuddled that I forgot to take a picture of the water/shredded potatoes mixture!
Now what do I do?? I quickly shared my dilmena with my facebook friends (after telling them I was so "wonderful" making kumpa...) and someone gamely suggested potato pancakes...
So, remembering that hubby also loved potato pancakes ... and thinking that onions usually improve everything... I drained the potato stuff into a colander and again ... squeezed out the moisture... then chopped up an onion and added it to the mixture along with more flour and an egg and fried them in butter to make some not-so-bad potato pancakes!
But there was a small bit of redemption.... in the smaller of the kettles of water remained ONE whole "kumpa" and part of a second one...
I think you have to grow up with these things to really appreciate their taste...
I should have taken a picture of the kitchen afterwards. I used SO many kettles, large bowls, colanders, food processor for shredding, etc., It was a mess.
All for 1 1/2 kumpas.
And because I love my man.
No comments:
Post a Comment