Sunday, December 13, 2009

Saturday baking...

Hubby and I spent a lovely Saturday afternoon doing some baking.
He makes some wonderful lefse (pronounces lef sah) - something most Norwegians really enjoy.
We have a special rolling pin, that has lots of small grooves, made by Wally's Uncle Einar Haave many years ago. There are quite a few members of the family that have these treasured rolling pins.

The lefse is a soft dough made from potatoes and flour, basically.
It is rolled thin and grilled on a flat surface - in this case, a lefse grill.


After it cools it is spread with butter and most often sprinkled liberally with sugar.
And EATEN. Yum.



Next up, I got out my krumkake iron....





One places a tablespoon of batter on the krumkake iron and close it and bake - it only takes 30 seconds to bake and there is a pretty pattern on the krumkake.


They are then rolled up, using this handy cone, and cooled.


They can be eaten "empty" or filled with something like.. whipped cream.
I like them both ways!

Lastly I worked on icing and decorating some Christmas cookies.
I am getting the hang of making royal icing, which is tricky.









They take a lot of work but it is fun to try to learn something new.
Each time I'm getting better at it.

No comments: