Thursday, March 05, 2009

Homemade english muffins. Yum.

Today I decided to try my hand at english muffins. I think I had only made them once before, and I had english muffins rings (though you can do it without them too) ... I made the dough in my trusty bread machine and then you roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut them in circles (using the rings) and let them raise for a while. Here they are going to rest and raise...

Then, after they have raised you cook them on a lightly oiled fry pan or griddle. 5 minutes each side. Corn meal is sprinkled on them beforehand.

They get a nice toasty brown color, don't they?


Cool them on a rack..



Split them open with a fork to encourage all those nooks and crannies that will hold the melted butter!!


Toast them and apply some butter and let it melt in...


Here's a close up! No preservatives! Just wholesome good ingredients.
It was delicious, I just had it with a cup of tea.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Looks great! I think I need to bake something this weekend . . .

Molly said...

Oooh, those look SO good!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my.....they look so wonderful and exactly like Thomas English Muffins. When I see that melting butter it make me hungry! l, m

Brooke said...

If only you knew how many english muffins we eat in a week!

I should get the recipe from you!

Kari, RN said...

Wow, these look so great! I've never thought about making homemade English muffins before, but this sure makes me want to try it!

Henrik and Carrie said...

Your English muffins look absolutely delicious!!