Friday, November 02, 2007

Birthday rider

For my 60th birthday (which is today) Wally gave me a package of riding lessons (he knew I was interested in doing that.) So yesterday I had my first lesson. Here I am meeting Pistol, the calm horse that will be the one on which I will learn.
One of the first things I learned is how to properly groom a horse. You must get all the dust and debris off the horse before placing the pad and saddle on him so there is nothing irritating him under the saddle. I didn't know that, did you?
My instructor Liz is really good - she is teaching me about the proper way to hold the reins.
Here I am doing an exercise to learn proper balance and posture on the horse.
At the end of the lesson I got to brush Pistol down again. I look forward to my next lesson! It's good to know there is always more to learn as we get older!

4 comments:

Kari, RN said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun present from Wally, very thoughtful. You are pretty brave! Have a WONDERFUL rest of your birthday!

Andrea said...

Lookin' good! That was nice of Wally to be your photographer so we could all share the experience. :)

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday!!!! and good for you to take up riding!! You look wonderful! You have now joined the age of the rest of us. I said that I felt absolutely wonderful when my special birthday came around a year ago and decided it was only a number!!!!! Actually Jim is the same age and so we decided to celebrate our birthdays by going to Hawaii...... that was just the best!!!! Never in a million years did I expect that!!!!
By the way, thank you so much for sending all the info on the cruise....it would have been so much fun to go with you all but as you know we will be coming down to Fergus the end of April for our new baby and the birthin' of our grandbabies takes priority. I have only a certain amount of holidays from work.
Have a great birthday week!

Brooke said...

What a great birthday gift idea! You totally fit the part! I hope you keep enjoying your lessons!