Thursday, August 09, 2007

Chokecherry time!

Being a New Jersey gal, I didn't grow up with chokecherries. This marvelous little dark berry, often overlooked, produces the most wonderful syrup for waffles, pancakes, etc. Of course, by itself it is fairly.... chokey.... but add lots of sugar and viola! This fabulous syrup is highly esteemed in the Berge household!! How do you like my homemade label?
Here is the result of our efforts. Wally and I did the picking last Saturday and though I am not too fond of the canning process (I would much rather bake than can anything!!) here stands the proud jars, completed today! 12 quarts (and two pints) from the 2007 harvest. Yippee!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those jars look adorable. I love them. Wish we had chokecherries in PA.

John said...

I hope some of this ends up in Eagan.

The Erickson Family said...

Yummy! Cute label too!

When can I expect a jar to arrive at my PO Box out here in Oregon?

... I'm sort of serious. :o)

Brooke said...

What a cool thing! Maybe you can teach me how to can?! My dad would be so proud - he talked about chokecherry jam alot! His mother was an excellent cook!

Andrea said...

I was thinking the same thing as John...except I want it in Eau Claire!! :) The jars are very cute too.

Anonymous said...

I AM SO IMPRESSED!! CUTE CUTE LABEL. YOU WIN!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!
JOANN - HI MARLANE!