Sunday, January 09, 2011

Mississippi Roast

I got this wonderful crock pot roast recipe from a blogger named Laurie.
(Laurie's life: http://lseo.blogspot.com/) She got it from her husband's Aunt and lots of her blog followers are now sold on this roast.
So am I .
So is hubby.
That's the important test in this house... the hubby test...
1. Buy a chuck roast.

2. Put it in the crock pot.


3. Sprinkle Hidden Valley ranch dressing on top.


4. Sprinkle McCormick Au Jus mix on top.

Put a stick of butter on top.

Put about 5 pepperoncini peppers on top.
(You buy them in a jar.)
.
Do NOT add water.
.
Cook in crock pot on low for about 8 hours.
.
Oh, those southern gals really know how to cook! Thank you, Laurie!!!

.
p.s. hint for Sunday dinner: I have put this in the crock pot before I go to bed Saturday night using a not-quite-thawed roast, and set the crock pot on a timer to start at 4 a.m. Thus, I have a delicious roast done by noon for dinner after church!
.
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the roast when it's done!
We ate it before I remembered!
Next time...

194 comments:

  1. The roast turned out well although I think next time I'll use the whole packets of seasoning (I only used 1/2 since my roast was quite small) and a few more peppers. The best part was the gravy...delicious!! I did put the drippings through a gravy separator before thickening as there was a lot of fat on top. Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...this looks very interesting! I'm going to have to try it out!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana J6:51 PM

    Amazing roast, this also does not last in our house for very long. BBQ sandwiches, beef stew, beef stroganoff, midnight snack... Endless uses. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, sounds sooooo delish. I will be making it for supper tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made somthing similar but instead of a stick of butter - pour in 1 can of beer (I use the cheapest stuff I can find) and in addition the 1 package of Au Jous I use an additional package of Brown Gravy .. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'll try this and add potatoes, carrots, and onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did it work with the veggies and potatoes?

      Delete
    2. How did it work with the veggies and potatoes?

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:16 AM

      I would add the potatoes and carrots in two hours before it’s done and I add them underneath the pot roast. This will help them cook and adding them in about two hours before done will keep them from getting mushy.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous4:45 PM

    Wow, this turned out fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I was a little worried to do this and leave the house because I always add water to my roasts. I didn't use the butter but I used a beer like someone else suggested and it was great.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth Autry1:59 PM

    I fixed this roast but while at the store I forgot to pick up a package of the ranch mix but I have always used a package of Lipton Onion Soup mix in my roast...so I folled the recipe the same but used the onion soup mix instead of the ranch and it was wonderful...next time I'll have to remember to get the ranch and try it that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol H.10:37 PM

    Can this be made without the peppers? I can't have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:20 AM

      No, you must add the peppers. If you don't the au jus and ranch could have a reaction and explode.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:46 AM

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Hope big was the roast?

      Delete
    4. Hope big was the roast?

      Delete
    5. So can this be made without the peppers?

      Delete
  10. Lauren3:55 PM

    i made this last month, followed the recipe to a "T" and it was amazing. The gravy was delicious. I put it on top of some egg noodles and it was gone immediately. Def. a keeper. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Adding veggies, do you still leave out the water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:13 AM

      I always add a cup of water and then I add the veggies the last two hours of cooking.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:14 AM

      This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous10:04 AM

    this sounds fab, i will be trying...i tried "Ermas" recipe
    1 packet of hidden valley ranch
    1 pkt of good seasons italian
    1 pkt of pioneer brown gravy
    1/2 cup water

    put roast in crock pot, pour entire packets and water over chuck roast, cook on low for 7hours.....i put carrots in bottom then roast........perfect every time serve with english peas and mashed potatoes........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the share! LOVE ME A GOOD CROCK POT RECIPE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:33 PM

    I added veggies & it was a BAD idea. They soaked up all of the seasoning & were unbearably salty. Blegh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:18 AM

      Try adding a cup of water next time and adding them in two hours before done.

      Delete
  15. Can someone tell me if the "ranch" taste is very strong? My husband doesn't like Ranch dressing...Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:33 PM

      I made this today. This is definitely a keeper! Couldn't really taste the ranch. When done I ran gravy thru a seperator and added it to another pkg of Au Jus only adding 1c. water to it and it thickened some one done I poured it over roast. Awesome!

      Delete
    2. The flavors blend together, so he won't be able to taste the ranch.

      Delete
  16. Anonymous2:36 AM

    Hi, please help me with this. Are you using salted or unsalted butter? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:00 PM

      I used salted butter. Made this today. Very good

      Delete
  17. Anonymous7:36 AM

    The Picture on top shows salted butter, but i'm sure it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this last night and it was AMAZING... to the other commentators DO NOT CHANGE or substitute A THING The secrete is the simplicity of this recipe... just like mom used to make -david PS... I did like the "on top of noodles" comment from Lauren, I will try that next time. Last night I made roasted Herb Potato wedges and a salad to accompany the roast. The gravy on top of the potato wedges was amazing also.. Do not cook with the roast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:30 PM

    We call this "crock o'beast" because you can use any meat with this recipe. I love using beef, but also good with chicken. The only difference is put your choice of beast in the bottom, season with your choice of seasonings (I use salt, pepper, Au Jus mix and/or brown gravy mix, then cut up a boatload of vidalia onions and put in with the beast. Really stuff it full. Then put in the stick of butter and crock until tender. Chix will cook faster than beef, so just watch it if you can. I usually put it on low for about 6 - 8 hours and it's wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Try your meat with a can of beer and an envelope of french onion soup mix, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of my friend's "pinned" this on Pinterest! I can't wait to try it; our last couple of roasts haven't turned out very well. I'd like to know if it's spicy too!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't too spicy, unless you add more Peppers, which I like to do.

      Delete
    2. It isn't too spicy, unless you add more Peppers, which I like to do.

      Delete
  23. Anonymous9:33 AM

    This is currently slow cooking in my crock pot. Cannot wait for dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carynn2:20 PM

    My friend and I add 1/2 C water instead of butter and add a packet of low-sodium italian dressing in with the other two (called Three Packet Pot Roast). It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous12:30 PM

    I made this for dinner yesterday and let me just say...WOW! This was probably the best thing I have ever tasted! I was a little apprehensive bc of the no water thing but the gravy it made could bring a grown man to his knees! If u haven't made this, make it your mission to do so ASAP! I left the peppers out bc no one at our house likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous1:46 PM

    I found this on pinterest and decided to try it! I have failed at making a roast for years but this was incredibly easy, delishious, tender, and flavorful!!!! For sure a recipe keeper!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jenelle Graham6:43 PM

    I am going to try this on Father's day sound pretty yummy. I love pot roast in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Made this today, stuck exactly to the recipe and WOW...does it ever smell fantastic and tastes just a good. Super easy and I did a huge cheap roast and it turned out like butter. Will do this again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in the process of making this right now! I can't wait to try it. I followed the recipe to a T, but I have a sirloin tip roast and I've got it raised on a rack as we love a medium rare roast!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made this for my family of six. I paired it with mashed potatoes and green beans. It was the perfect meal. Everyone loved it. Thanks for posting. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  31. PLEASE SOMEONE - please answer the question about whether the peppers make it at all spicy! While hubby & I love spicy, I've got kids who don't to consider. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these peppers aren't spicy at all...

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:21 AM

      These type of peppers are more vinegary than spicy. Haven't made the recipe but love these peppers. I'm sure the vinegary flavor add to the moisture too. It would be more like adding a zest than a hot spice

      Delete
    3. Not spicy. I use peppers that are mild.

      Delete
  32. @H.E. I haven't made this but don't think it would be spicy as pepperoncini aren't spicy but more "pickley" or tart.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous9:43 PM

    I made this tonight using more peppers than the recipe called for. It was not spicy at all. Super delicious! They want more tomorrow but ate all of it tonight. A keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous9:51 AM

    making this for dinner. I'm kind of nervous cause I'm not much of a cook. hope the hubby and kids like it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous7:42 AM

    oh my... that was a delicious roast. thanks for sharing. we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Made it for lunch today & it was wonderful! The only change we made was we added no salt TONY's for a little extra Louisiana flavor. I will use this again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous8:14 PM

    In answer to a question by a previous poster, I found this otherwise wonderful recipe to be just a bit too salty. Next time I will use unsalted butter and perhaps not the entire packet of Au Jus.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I used a whole jar of the Pepperocini peppers and it wasn't spicy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  39. OK its in the crock pot. We'll see if my guys will devour it. sounds very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sue S5:47 PM

    This is absolutely THE best roast I have EVER tasted!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! I have shared the recipe with everyone! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Made this last week after finding it on Pinterest. My 5 teenagers and hubby raved! I have a pretty well loved roast recipe I've used for years, but this blew that recipe away. Just put it in the crockpot again this morning and I'm sure everyone will be home on time for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks Delicious! I love finding new recipes. I have incorporated smoothies that are high in fiber to my diet. I'm trying to eat healthy and lose some weight, but I love food so much! And these smoothies really fill you up.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous8:24 AM

    Making it now, but the "gravy" is more like juice. How do you thicken it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just cook the juice/gravy longer. It will boil some of the water out and thicken it up.

      Delete
  44. Planning on making this today..have two cuts of meat, the top roast and the bottom roast. Which one should I use?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous6:50 PM

    I didn't change a thing & this was AMAZING!! My hubby & kids loved it...even my picky 4 year old!! Thanks for this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous7:53 PM

    I usually cannot stand roasts. I initially planned on making it for my other family members, but wound up eating more than anyone else. I followed the recipe to the t... DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous7:14 AM

    Have this in the crockpot right now. While at the store, I couldn't remember the Au Jus, so I bought brown gravy mix ... in reading other comments, some people used this - so we will see. I also cut the butter down to a little over half a stick, again - we'll see. I did cut up a few taters and mushrooms and put them underneath the roast... Can't wait to get home to find out how this all turned out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Very very good!!!left out butter still good

    ReplyDelete
  49. Stephanie9:05 PM

    I am very excited to try this recipe! Will be doing this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I would highly recommend a LEAN sirloin tip roast instead of chuck roast. The fat makes the gravy extremely greasy and runny. Was so excited to makes this, alas.....I've had way better experience with this:

    French Dip Roast
    1 (3lb.) beef roast
    2 C. water
    1/2 C. soy sauce
    1 tsp. dried rosemary
    1 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 bay leaf
    3 -4 whole peppercorns
    8 french rolls

    Place roast in a slow cooker. Add water, soy sauce, and seasonings.

    Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender.

    Remove meat from broth; shred with forks and keep warm.

    Skim fat and pour broth in cups. Serve beef on rolls. Serves 8.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous10:05 AM

    In my crock pot as we speak! I'm so excited to try this...! My last attempt of making a roast didn't turn out well! But I used water n veggies n potatoes! Hope this is as good as it sounds & smells!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous2:26 PM

    I made this for dinner last night. Had forgotten to get the pepperonci so instead put in about half a cup of finely chopped onions we had leftover from our grill night. It was amazing the two picky eaters/men of the house devoured it and was upset that there wasn't more. I used a 4 lb roast and it was gone in 30 min flat. I didn't seperate the drippings like some did I just put it in a pan brought it to boiling for about 5 min and then mixed in a cornstarch slurry and that was all gone as well! This will definitly be the go to roast from here on out in our house =) Thank you again!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This was the first Crock Pot recipe that I didn't add some liquid. I was surprised that in just 3 hours there was a half-full pot of liquid. I have already sampled some that is done. I did potatoes, onion, and baby carrots in with the roast. I can't wait until dinner! Thank you and who ever put it on Pinterest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous9:51 AM

    Commenting from South Africa. What are the 2 packet ingredients, stock and seasoning? Michele T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:30 AM

      I have not made this recipe. The hidden valley ranch dressing is seasoning and the McCormick is stock. If you were using the McCormick by itself it would get combined with about 1 cup of water, brought to a boil and whisked for about one minute to thicken. I would think a bullion cube could be used in a pinch, maybe crushed and sprinkled? The hidden valley ranch, if used as a dip or salad dressing Would get mixed with buttermilk or sour cream or mayo or a combo thereof to create an alternative to blue cheese dressing which is too strong for many people. Blue cheese would not! be an acceptable alternative to this recipe, I don't think

      Delete
  55. Anonymous8:53 AM

    I am so making this! Sounds wonderful! Btw, your grandchildren are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous10:30 AM

    I have it in my crock pot as we speak. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Sounds Great, I have cooked in one before , i just added meat , and any thing we liked to eat , and water a little , did it with my e-wife yrs ago, as i was work night , did when i came in from work , it was ready about 6/8 hrs later on high ,

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous11:45 AM

    In the crockpot! Can't wait to try it. We are not a pepper family, but we will see :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. In the crockpot for the second time! This is such an easy recipe and it tastes amazing! The peppers are not spicy and the flavor they add is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Making this today! No peppers in stock, I'll add a little chili mix.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I cant read this recipe with this background. Can someone send me the recipe please? mjgreeson1208@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  62. In case you were wondering, like me, whether or not you can add in potatoes and carrots to this roast, here is some advice. It works great. I was concerned that there would not be sufficient liquid to cook all the potatoes and carrots. Like another said, so much liquid is generated during the cooking time. I quartered 5 medium potatoes and added 1/2 bag of baby carrots. No need to add or alter the recipe in any other way. This way the whole meal is ready at the end! I cooked it for about 10-11 hours on low.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Lauren9:27 PM

    Can the meat be frozen? College student here... Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Mine was frozen solid and it's cooking great right now. In fact, it smells delicious. Can't wait.

      Delete
  64. Seriously DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

    Easiest meal EVER - frozen, had hubby throw it in the crock pot when he got home from work at 7am (he works 3rd - I teach Kindergarten) When I got home at 4, it was perfectly cooked, tasted delish making a couple quick sides and waaaalahhhh!!!! YUM! THANK YOU FOR SHARING! PLEASE SHARE MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  65. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anonymous10:05 AM

    Can you cook this roast on high for 4 hours and get the same results?

    ReplyDelete
  67. I need to make this gluten-free. DO you think substituting homemade au jus (it will be a liquid) will change this or make it tough?

    ReplyDelete
  68. Emily2:32 PM

    Eating leftovers from last night as i'm typing this.. this roast was delicious. and super easy. I was a little nervous to try this out because of the no liquids thing. I just new that I would do something to totally screw this up; being that ive never made a roast before and this would only be the second meal ive ever made in a crockpot. i bought a 2-3 lb. roast. (i dont remember what kind but it was on sale) followed the recipe to a T. and added carrots and red potatoes and sliced pepperoncinis instead of whole (only because they were cheaper). when adding the seasoning packets it seemed like a lot so i started with half and later changed my mind and added the rest, im so glad i did because it turned out great. not too salty not too bland. i cooked on low for about 6 hours and shredded the meat put back in the crockpot for 2 more hours and the meat was so tender and the veggies were a good texture. i hate mushy carrots! and the gravy had thickened up well too. I will definatley be making this again. Not having ANY of the ingredients because m bf and I live in a hotel during the week as he works out of town, i spent about $17. (which the night before we went and got fast food and spent $18 for the 2 of us and all i got was 3 chicken strips and some fries.) So for $1 less we got a home cooked meal we could share with his coworkers and eat on the next day. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Rachelle6:24 PM

    Made this for supper tonight was so yummy. I forgot to season it as we started to eat but it didn't need anything. Was a lil salty for me but I don't eat much salt.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Anonymous3:02 PM

    I'm trying this tonight for the first time, can't wait to get home and have dinner waiting for me for once. I'll let you know how it goes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Teresa5:49 PM

    This was so yummy. Everyone, including my 11 year old son and 7 year old daughter loved it. I followed the recipe exactly......not spicy....gravy was a little too salty for me, but easily fixed next time. A definite keeper in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  72. We just had this for dinner. I did end up adding some water when I shredded roast and noticed no gravy. I just shredded it up with a spoon right in my crock pot, added a bit of water and let it sit for awhile longer. I cooked egg noodles, drained them, and stirred it all together. It was delicious!! I think I put about 8 peppers and next time will use more as I really like them. Will be making this again!! Oh still didn't have any gravy but it was moist enough that it was still awesome. My 18 year old, extreme picky eater, inhaled a plate full and said it was better than he had thought it would be and he wants it again. So YIPPEE!!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Anonymous11:27 AM

    anyone else have issues with the au jus? i just bought mine over the weekend. put my roast in this morning and the packet of au jus was one lump. as if moisture got in. i crumbled it the best i could. hoping it works!!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Anonymous11:26 AM

    Can anyone tell me if this taste like ranch dressing? My husband hates ranch!! Thanks to anyone who answers me.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Anonymous4:11 PM

    This doesn't taste like ranch at all. After reading the comments, I followed the recipe 100% except subbing 1/2 a beer for the butter. The roast had a good flavor but was still way too salty even with leaving butter out. And I did think the peppers made it have a definite spicy kick. Will not make this again!

    ReplyDelete
  76. Anonymous8:58 PM

    This was a winner in my house. I was concerned about the ranch, but it actually didn't taste like ranch at all. The only thing I didn't like is that the ranch packet made the roast VERY salty. I followed the advice of another person who recommended not putting veggies in with it because her veggies turned out too salty. I served with green beans and homemade mashed potatoes. The peppers do not make the roast spicy at all, so its fine for small children.

    ReplyDelete
  77. I have this in the crock pot right now...Waiting for my husband to get home to serve it, but I just snuck a taste. Delicious! I didn't add the peppers, but did everything else just like the recipe, and will be putting it over egg noodles. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Melinda1:33 PM

    Made this last weekend and loved it. The peppers gave it a great flavor and I served it with homemade mashed potatoes ! A keeper for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Venecia8:13 AM

    I made this yesterday and it was DELICIOUS!!! I omitted the peppers from the recipe however, I may add them the next time I make it. Everyone in my house absolutely loved it. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Anonymous9:38 PM

    I have a 6.5 lb roast...should I use more seasoning than called for?

    ReplyDelete
  81. Anonymous12:00 PM

    Don't understand why those of you who can't believe you don't use water are surprised. The liquid is a combination of butter and fat from the roast. Try a leaner roast and add water. Also the amount of sodium in this recipie is atrocious. If you feel like a bloated fish the day after eating this don't complain because you've been warned.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Anonymous5:09 PM

    I'm not much of a crockpot cooker, but this sounded interesting. I don't recall the exact size of my roast, but it virtually filled my my 4qt crockpot with only an inch or less all the way around. I used the ingredients as listed except I used unsalted butter and added several more peppers. It took 9 hours for my roast to get to falling apart. At the 8 hour point I decided to remove the stems from the peppers and mash them. After another hour, I removed and shredded the roast with two forks. De-greased the gravy (all the peppers were in the gravy) and returned all to the pot for another 20 minutes on high.

    I thought the dish was wonderful. I didn't detect Ranch flavor at all, but it did have a little heat to it (I like spicy). Maybe because I mashed the peppers and added extras. It was a bit salty and not something I'd make once a week, but great for a change of pace. I served over plain rice.

    The only thing I will do different for next time is de-stem the peppers in the beginning.

    Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  83. Anonymous5:27 PM

    I just finished making this after reading all of the other posts I made adjustments beforehand. I started my (3 lb. chuck roast) at 10 a.m. in a dutch oven. Seared it first then added quartered onions, baby carrots and small red potatoes cut it half. I put the veggis on the botton. I too had a problem with my au jus packet so
    I just crumbled it up and put it on the bottom and put the butter on top of the meat. I added 3 cups of broth, a 1/2 cup of sliced peppers plus the remainder of juice in my pepper jar (approx. 1/4 cup from a jar of "mild" sliced peppers). Baked it on 300 for 3 hours. removed the meat and pulled the fat off then put the juice in a bowl to solidify the fat then spooned it out, poured the juice through a sieve and then back over the meat and veggis and put it in the fridge ( it's for tomorrow ) The flavor was amazing. I do not like ranch at all but the combination of the two packets and the peppers gave it very good flavor. I did not add any salt, only pepper. It was perfect and the veggis were not mushy. I will be making this again . Hope this info helps.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Okay - I'm making this finally today. I'm doing it on high for four or five hours since the roast was frozen. Thank you for posting this.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  85. Anonymous2:22 PM

    made this today and i have to say WOW BEST ROAST EVER I WILL NEVER MAKE POT ROAST ANY OTHER WAY!! don't change anything on the recipe it is perfect the way it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Anonymous3:06 PM

    In the crock now smells yummy!!! Using a rump roast! Didnt change a thing besides added extra peppers! Let ya'all know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  87. If adding vegetables (potatoes, carrots, celery & onions) should they be added midway through cooking to avoid a mushy texture? Should they be added under the meat or on top?

    ReplyDelete
  88. Anonymous10:44 AM

    If I wanted to turn the sauce left in the crockpot into gravy, what would I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add flour/water mixture as a thickener

      Delete
  89. crazy question but hoping this was you that posted to Pinterest...I saw in the P.S. about starting your timer on the crock pot to begin cooking at 4am...what kind of crockpot do you have that has a delayed timer? I'd love one of these.
    jenni.brown7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  90. Anonymous6:32 PM

    I had a small chuck roast (2 lbs) and all the liquid evaporated and the bottom was burnt! So disappointed. Will try again with a larger roast and add some beef broth.

    ReplyDelete
  91. My sister said this dish is amazing so I have it cooking in the crock now. Can't wait till dinner time!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Anonymous10:47 PM

    Sounds like no matter what, you can't fail with this recipe. So if you decide to do some personal tweeking or leave the recipe just as is, from the many comments I'd say this is a win win kind of recipe and that my kinda cookin. -Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  93. Made this for dinner tonight - big hit. My only adjustment was to reduce the butter. I wish I had time to skim the fat off the gravy - will do that next time. Not sure what the peppers do, but I won't risk leaving them out. I will be sharing this with others!

    ReplyDelete
  94. I've made this several times now. Love, love, love the flavor the peppers add.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Candis,

    Hello, just wanted to let you know that we featured your Mississippi Roast on our blog (Made From Pinterest) today. We make items from Pinterest and let everyone know if the pin "Rocks" or "Flops".

    We wanted to let you know that Mississippi Roast "ROCKS!". Thanks for the great recipe!

    Debbie (the oldest)

    ReplyDelete
  96. I hate to be negative - but this is the worst recipe. My roast was so salty and it tasted just like a stick of butter. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Anonymous2:35 AM

    I made this last night and I was a little worried my family HATES roast but I wanted to fix something different. Let me just say they all LOVED it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Crap! Bought hidden valley ranch dip on accident. Its ten pm on christmas eve, wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  99. Anonymous9:43 PM

    This is a delicious recipe. It is a bit salty so you might want to pass if you're sensitive to salt.

    Also, this recipe has an enormous amount of sodium in it so I would skip it if you are watching your sodium intake. We only have this roast once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Just put mine in the crock pot! I can't wait to try it, sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Definitely going to try this one. Have the roast just need to get the fixins and we will be ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  102. Tina Giles4:38 PM

    What size roast do I use?

    ReplyDelete
  103. Anonymous8:40 PM

    Made this tonight for supper exactly as it's written. My whole family LOVED it! Made a gravy out of the liquid and served it over pasta. Will definitely make again! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  104. Anonymous1:18 AM

    Ok there was someone who changed the recipe and said they wouldn't make it again. People like that bug me don't comment and say it was bad if YOU changed the recipe! Follow the recipe and I you dot like it fine. But don't sit there and say all the changes you made and how you didn't like it and won't make it again. Ok rant over. Made this for supper tonight. It was so delicious! I made a loaded mashed potatoe bake with it and some green beans. It was so good. Wouldn't leave out the peppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My thoughts exactly!

      Delete
  105. Made this tonight! Didn't have a roast but used stew beef, served over whole wheat egg noodles...so good! It will be added into the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  106. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Can you use yellow hot peppers as a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  107. I made this tonight and it was delicious! I would agree with some others that it was salty, even though I used a low-sodium gravy mix and only a half a stick of unsalted butter. I added about 1/3 cup of water, too.

    ReplyDelete
  108. Anonymous11:10 PM

    omg! made this recipe twice already. First time was done the way recipe is. second time was done without the stick of butter. Both ways are delicious! I think I rather stay away from the butter, but nevertheless this recipe brings my whole family to the dinner table. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  109. Anonymous6:43 PM

    I am just finishing up this recipe now.
    My chuck roast was just a little over 2 lbs. I was worried that the amount of seasoning may be too much for that size roast, but as it turned out it was great.
    I put the roast on at 10:30 this morning and I thought because it was a smaller roast it may be done in less time. At 6 hrs I checked the roast and it still seemed too tough for me. I decided to cut it into large chunks and continue to cook it for the full 8 hrs.
    Doing that was just what it needed! At the 8 hr mark it was falling apart and I could shred it with a fork. It was a big hit with all of my family, something that rarely happens !! Some may find it on the salty side but my family seems to like it that way.
    I did not add the peppers either, they are just not a family favorite and without them there was still plenty of flavor for us. I also served it over egg noodles which was a great match.

    ReplyDelete
  110. Love this recipe. Last time I made it poke a few holes in the top with a fork and put about 1-2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce on before the packaged seasonings. Added nice zip to it and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  111. Kimberly3:02 AM

    In my house its the kid test that counts the most as my husband will eat just about anything. I made this roast for dinner tonight and it was AMAZING! Both kids (7 yo and 4 yo) raved about it and wanted seconds and thirds! Definitely on the repeat list for our house. The only thing was that the gravy from the drippings with the Au Ju was super salty. Think I might use less of that in the future. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  112. I used your exact recipe but with a pork roast--it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  113. I didn't have peppers so instead I'm using sliced pickles. I've used pickles in crock pot meals before so Im willing to bet it will turn out just as good as if I were to use peppers as they are both pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  114. I didn't have peppers so instead I'm using sliced pickles. I've used pickles in crock pot meals before so Im willing to bet it will turn out just as good as if I were to use peppers as they are both pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  115. I tried this in my pressure cooker. I added 1/2 cup water to the bottom and cooked for 1 hour and 45 mins. It was amazing. I served it with papardelle pasta. I filled a shallow bowl with the pasta, put the roast on top, the added some of the juices. Delish! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  116. It definitely passed the hubby test! Best roast we've ever had! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  117. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  118. This passed the blubber-gut test. All of the big bellies loved it. Tender and juicy. Fell off the fork. Went well with red wine. Sorry if that insults those of you in the Bible Belt, but one glass of wine with the pot roast will not trigger Armageddon ... yet.

    Keep the delicious recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  119. Fiona, I think the roast was between 3 and 4 lbs. I don't think you need to be real specific about the size. I just bought what looked good in the meat department at my local grocery store and most of them were similar in size.

    ReplyDelete
  120. The first time we made this we used the butter and added peppers, it was amazing! The second time we used a can of beer instead of the butter. It was good, but not nearly as amazing as the first time. Butter and extra peppers are the way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  121. This roast is amazing. Best roast I have ever had. My daughter used a pork loin instead of beef, it was equally as wonderful. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I'll never fix roast any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  122. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I made this today an was very apprehensive About the no water part. The husband was working from home today and kept questioning whether he needed to add anything or turn it down or not 8 hours, etc lol. I told him this blog said Do not add water or vere from the recipe. I have to say this is the best, tenderest, most flavorful roast I have ever made! Thank you for posting this..Happy hubby too!

    ReplyDelete
  123. I made thistonitefor dinner. It was delicious but overly salty. I did not think to get low sodium au jus packet. And i think the butter was salted. As others said, I was nervous without any extra liquid. Probably with a frozen roast it would have been great, mine was just bought so I should have turned it down to 4-6 hours probably. I got some baked on goo on the bottom of the crock. Too early to think of such things! I will know for next time. Coupled tweaks next time,I think this will be great! Made with roasted broccoli and mashed potatoes. Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  124. All you comments make me desperate to try this....however..I am in the uk and i have no idea what the packet mixes are. Could someone explain ? Thanking you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  125. Found on pinterest, it's currently in the crockpot! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  126. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  127. I'm not a beef eater... Has anyone tried this recipe with a pork roast?

    ReplyDelete
  128. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  129. Tried it last night, I substituted 2 jalapeno peppers and 2 cloves of elephant garlic with stick of butter on top. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  130. I made this today only thing that I did differently was add flour/water mixture to the gravy once it was done to thicken it up a bit..yummers

    ReplyDelete
  131. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  132. Made this on the weekend and it was outstanding! Only two of us so we had about half of it left. Cubed the meat, saved the sauce and added a couple cans of condensed cream soup for a great stroganoff over egg noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  133. Huge hit with everyone! This recipe has gone viral in my office! It has been shared with so many people and everyone loves it! It has even been made overseas!! Serve it with mashed potatoes so you can use every drop of the amazing gravy it makes!
    Followed to a tee...didn't change a thing.
    Sooo goood!

    ReplyDelete
  134. Anonymous12:05 PM

    How salty is this? Aren't the two packets that go on this roast extremely salty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t find this salty at all. But I also added small baby carrots and small red potatoes. My family ate those as well and it still wasn’t salty.

      Delete
  135. If tou like tgos you need to try Pioneer woman's drip beef recipe. Its amazing and similar ingredients. its here on interest or at her website

    ReplyDelete
  136. Well of course it will be very salty. Those packets are loaded with salt! Sounds tasty but not healthy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  137. I'm making this for my co-workers tomorrow for our Thanksgiving feast. I'm anxious to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  138. You will love it! I've made this 100 times since I found the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  139. Anonymous10:14 PM

    Has anyone tried this in the oven rather than the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  140. Anyone tried this on a sandwich with cheese?? Its in my crock pot right now and dying to know if it makes a good sandwich... ???

    ReplyDelete
  141. Has anyone tried this with pork roast? That's what I have pulled out of the freezer but I am unsure if it would be good. Also since its pork should I add some of the juice from the peppers?

    ReplyDelete
  142. does this need to be thawed or frozen meat?

    ReplyDelete
  143. I have made this NUMEROUS times... LOVE it! We're a gluten free house so I have to sub the au jux for a gluten free beef gravy packet (McKormick makes a good one) but it turns out wonderful... Trying it with elk roast this weekend for a family reunion - we're making sandwiches out of it.

    I haven't tried it but if you are using pork instead, if you use a pork butt (shoulder) it should be fatty enough that you don't need to use any liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  144. Have any of you put the pepper juice in with it? I think that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  145. Anonymous11:13 AM

    Has anyone tried this for French dip sandwiches, using the au jus sauce for dipping?

    ReplyDelete
  146. I see people saying they thickened the gravy .. is there a specific way? You can't just use it the way it comes out? I want to try this and I don't want it to be horrible. Please help :(

    ReplyDelete
  147. Do the peppers make it a spicy dish?

    ReplyDelete
  148. No, the peppers add delicious flavor, a bit vinegar punch, not hot or too spicy. You would miss not having them! Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  149. Looking forward to trying this. Quick question on the Peppers. Will I find them near the pickles? Or in the produce section? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  150. Ask your grocer. Usually by the pickles in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  151. ok, mine is in the crockpot now and only a few hours till i hit the 8 hr mark. Although the meat is tender now since my crockpot runs hotter, i'm still going to let it go bit longer after tasting it and having to make a few modifications.....I did make it exactly as posted, but after tasting it i thought the butter taste was a little overpowering in the gravy and even though i used unsalted butter it was a bit over salty for my taste.... It is still an amazing dish but i did have to try and tone down the butter and salt taste. I made a flour/water slurry because i'm serving it with mashed potatoes so i wanted a thicker gravy, and then added more water. I did add some Worcestershire sauce, again just to tone down the butter. Who knows maybe it was just the brand of butter i used that could have made it overpowering. Everyone else that used a full stick didn't seem to have a problem and then there were a few that did.... To tone down the salt i had some old petite red potatoes i needed to use up and already bought more potatoes for my side dish, so i placed them in there. Since potatoes absorb salt very well. I won't be eating these, its just for the salt. Its tasting great now and this is a wonderful dish...Next time and i will definitely make this again i'm going to add half the butter and try another brand as well, and add in potatoes for salt absorption and i think its going to be spot on. Thx for posting this recipe. I'm a creature of habit so for me to veer away from my only trusting pot roast recipe says a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  152. Very good! But a little tarty for my taste. Should I halve the spice?

    ReplyDelete
  153. Made this for dinner on Sunday and it turned out delicious! There were no leftovers. I cooked the roast from frozen and it was just fine. I featured the recipe on my blog where I write about trying out ideas I find on Pinterest. Check it out! https://iampinderella.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/pot-roast-with-a-twist/

    ReplyDelete
  154. Made this for dinner last night. It's SO good! We had ours French dip style. Served on French rolls with provolone and added more peppers. Spooned some of the gravy mixture over the top before closing up the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  155. Can you use a pork roast? Same amount of time and ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  156. I LOVE this recipe. It's a staple in our house now. You can also use pork (I've done both pork butt and pork tenderloin). The result is still fabulous. Don't leave out the peppers!! They add the most amazing flavor! They aren't spicy, but sure are delicious. The ranch is not an overpowering flavor for those that are wondering. My husband hates ranch dressing also but he really likes this meat! I've put potatoes in mine as well and the flavor is just as amazing on those!

    ReplyDelete
  157. For everyone who asks NO it is not spicy. I use 1/2 a jar of rings and juice from the pepperocini and it is NOT spicy. Start with the 5 whole like this recipe calls for. But No, no no, Not spicy. The butter must kill all of the heat. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  158. I use to make the popular roast with the pot.,carrots and onions for years. I saw this recipe and thought I would try something new. Well, now this is the only way I can cook a roast in my house. I have to cook two roasts now instead of one. It is so easy to make. I put it on before I go to work and it is done when I get home at 3:00. I accidentally used the medium peppers last time and it was a little too hot. I love the mild peppers. I use the entire jar with the liquid and it gives it such a wonderful taste. Anyone that has doubts about making this, just try it. It will go quick. The best roast I have ever eaten. I also use the brown gravy mix at times along with the other au jus and ranch dressing powder mix. I have also added onions but they don't come out very well. It isn't salty at all.

    ReplyDelete
  159. I think if the gravy isn't thick enough for you, after removing the roast, I would probably mix up a corn starch slurry, and put it up on high until it thickens. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  160. Be sure to use unsalted butter !!!

    ReplyDelete
  161. I’m making this tonight, except I’m adding carrots and baby reds to it!! I will let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  162. This turned out amazing even with the veggies added. I was worried the veggies would take away from the flavor but it dose not. Just make sure and use small baby carrots and small baby reds. It dose not take a lot and I would also do it the last two hours! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  163. I do not usually comment on these things but I have to say, I have now made this recipe several times and it is AMAZING. Between my husband and two teenage boys there are never leftovers. I have used more peppers than it calls for on occasion but it has never come out spicy. I throw it all in the crock pot and turn it on low before I leave for work. When we get home the house smells wonderful and all I have to do is toss a salad and set our rolls or boil egg noodles. They devour it. So easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  164. Hubby made it today. Greasy and a bit salty. Followed exactly. Going to 7se a leaner meat vs a chuck roast and search for a blend of herbs and spices for the ranch and au jus, which I think made it salty. Also cut down on the butter.

    ReplyDelete
  165. Made it last night. Piece of meat was not fatty. 2 lbs at most. I halved everything except pepperocinis. Added about 1/4 cup of juice from jar. I got a bit worried as roast was tough after about 7 hours cooking on low. Cooked for total of 9 hours. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete